Pregnancy massage, also called prenatal massage, uses a technique that addresses the changes in a woman’s body during pregnancy. For example, a pregnant woman undergoes circulatory changes that may put them at risk of hematoma in the lower legs particularly in the calves or inner thigh. In this case, massage therapist uses lighter and slower strokes on the legs.
The massage is designed to be a curative that focuses on the physiological, structural and emotional well being of the mother and the baby.
The therapist should be certified in pregnancy massage as they know the proper way to position and support the pregnant woman’s body to be able to perform the massage techniques well.
The experience of being pregnant can create changes in the lifestyle of a woman and it can be quite stressful. Pregnancy massage has been used for many years to provide a nurturing touch and emotional support to expectant mothers.
Pregnancy massage therapy:
- boosts relaxation
- reduces insomnia
- lessens chronic pain
- reduces swelling in hands and feet / edema
- provides relief from headache and sinusitis
- provides hips, legs, neck, back and lower back pain relief
- lessens pain on weight-bearing joints
- corrects posture
- provides relief from muscle cramps, spasms
- increases blood and lymph circulation
- preparing the muscles used during childbirth
- lowers anxiety and depression
- improves sleep
- decreases levels of the stress hormone called norepinephrine
- boosts levels of the “serotonin” and “dopamine” which are the “feel-good” hormones
- improves mood
Is Pregnancy Massage Safe?
When you are pregnant and would like to have a pregnancy massage, make sure that you are already in your second trimester. During the second and third trimester, and even during labour, massage is considered safe as there are only gradual hormonal changes in this period.
Many massage therapists do not offer pregnancy massages during the first trimester as there is a possibility of miscarriage if the massage is performed inappropriately.
Ensure that you have a licensed and experienced massage therapist for you to enjoy the benefits of pregnancy massage for the duration of your pregnancy and beyond.