Massages are also now offered in hospitals, rehabilitation clinics and even in your own home.
Massage is known to provide stress relief and if you are stressed at work you may wish to organise a massage for yourself wherever is convenient for you.
Here are some tips to make you comfortable for your first massage experience:
- Know the basics of massage. You need to be at least brief understanding of the benefits of the massage so that you can express to the therapist what you really need, where you are in pain or the nature of your stress.
- Eat a light meal. A full stomach will be difficult or painful to lie on.
- Be punctual. You need to be in a relaxed state before the session begins. If you are late or in a rush, your body may be more stressed that it should be and you may miss out on some valuable massage time.
- Give accurate information about your health. When you meet your therapist, you will be asked about your health and what parts of your body you are most stressed. Be as accurate as possible when you give your health information to your therapist as this will be their gauge on what type of massage you need. You should also inform your therapist if you have allergies with oils, lotions or powders as they will use one of these reduce friction on your skin.
- You will be taken to the massage room and you will be asked to take off as much clothing as you are comfortable removing. You will be left for a few minutes to be comfortable on the table or bed.
- Give feedback to your therapist during the session so that they can adjust the pressure or speed of hand movement should you find the massage painful. Sometimes, the therapist needs to adjust the massage technique that they use so that they will be able to pay more attention to any muscles that are overly tense in – order to make you these muscles loosen up.
- Do not get off the table too fast after the massage. It is common to feel dizzy or light headed after a massage as you may be in a highly relaxed state. So take your time to sit up slowly, and then sit a moment before you stand to get dressed.
- Drink plenty of water after the session.
If you have decided to have your first massage experience then this list will help you prepare to have a great massage experience.